When cheap moving becomes expensive…

When cheap moving becomes expensive…

When cheap moving becomes expensive…



So, you scored a “too-good-to-be-true” moving rate with a local company and you feel elated, like you’ve obtained a rare unicorn of a bargain…but have you?

As the old saying goes, “Accidents happen.”

While we are all human and accidents simply cannot always be avoided, the damage caused however, and related costs can be mitigated. This is why all California drivers are required to carry insurance, for example.

So why would you expect anything less from the moving company you hire?

Hiring uninsured and under-insured companies have real life implications. It is estimated that for every 1 insured contracting company there are at least 4 uninsured contracting companies in the Greater Los Angeles Area. In a recent California lawsuit, Mendoza v. Brodeur, a homeowner asked his neighbor to do some work for him on his home.But, lo and behold, an accident happened and the neighbor was hurt on the homeowner’s property. You see, this homeowner blindly trusted his neighbor and thought he was hiring a valid, licensed independent contractor who had his own insurance coverage. In the end, the California Superior Court rejected that stance, and ruled against the homeowner! The judge asserted that the homeowner was technically the neighbor’s employer and thus should have had a California Worker’s Compensation insurance policy in place to cover the possibility of injury on the job. In the end, the Homeowner was responsible to pay all of his neighbors costs.

Arm yourself with knowledge!

In order to be licensed in the State of California, Household Goods Movers must provide more than sufficient evidence to the California Public Utilities Commission  that they are qualified to become licensed. This includes providing proof of financial records and bank statements, successful registration of a Motor Carrier Permit/CA Number with the California Highway Patrol for their fleet vehicles, Auto Insurance for said vehicles that meets or exceeds California minimums, Worker’s Compensation Insurance, at least $20,000 in Cargo Insurance, and the successful completion of a Household Goods Mover Exam administered by the Commission. (Learn more here at the California Department of Justice : https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/moving)

Additionally, all licensed movers are required to display their PUC or “T” number on all of their emails, website, and general correspondence with the public. The Important Information for Persons Moving Household Goods booklet,issued by the California Public Utilities Commission, is required to be given to consumers upon first in-person contact so make sure to check that your moving company has provided this to you. This booklet is vital to you and explicitly outlines your rights and responsibilities as a consumer of California Household Goods moving services.

“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” -Benjamin Franklin

Give us a call and move with the best…for less!

-Cheap Movers Los Angeles Customer Care Team