Are your movers licensed and insured?

licensed and insured movers cheap movers los angeles

When cheap moving becomes expensive…

“How can I be sure that my movers are licensed and insured?”

You’ve finally secured your move-in date for your soon-to-be new home and now all that’s left is…moving! It is at this high-stress time, that you are likely looking for professional help to help make this process faster and less-stressful. So you begin seeking out professional movers and you quickly realize, not all moving companies are created alike. Some specialty companies can run quite expensive while others seem to be much cheaper. So you do a little more research and search Yelp! and find horror stories about customers having their personal items broken by movers. Often times these customers are voicing frustration about being unfairly compensated, (or completely written ignored,) due to uninsured movers. Suddenly, a highly-stressful event became unnecessarily, devastatingly-stressful.

We’re here to tell you: it doesn’t have to be this way!


California Law: All Household Goods Carriers (i.e. Moving Companies) must have a Public Utilities Commission Permit!

California Law states the following:

“All movers offering or performing California intrastate transportation are required to have an active CPUC permit, and public liability and cargo insurance on file with the Commission. The majority of the Unit’s efforts involve the detection and abatement of movers advertising and operating without CPUC permits. These movers, known as “bandits,” expose the public to significant harm, and have a tremendous, unfair economic advantage over their lawful competitors.”

Yes, you’ve read that right — if you hire an unlicensed moving company you are entirely vulnerable to becoming a victim of an elaborate scheme that can, quite literally, bankrupt you and damage the general reputation of law abiding moving companies. Every licensed moving company with the California Public Utilities Commission must provide proof on file with the Commission of: Cargo Insurance (to protect your items in-transit,), Worker’s Compensation Insurance, General Liability Insurance, and Auto Insurance for their fleet. The Commission regularly checks this information on file to make sure policies are maintained at the prescribed coverages.

This means that most moving companies working without a permit, or with a revoked permit, often carry no insurance coverage or, at best, partial coverage. That means, if something(s) is/are broken, good luck finding these people later! Furthermore, anytime you hire and unlicensed mover/service provider, under the law, you are contracting with them for labor. Therefore, YOU are responsible if your unlicensed and uninsured mover(s) become hurt, injured, or worse while on the clock working for you!

For more information, read more about a recent California Case about such a situation HERE from our friends at Brewer Law Firm.


Information is power!

The California Public Utilities Commission states the following question, “How can I check if my movers are licensed?”:

“Before you hire any mover, get its “Cal T-number,” (the CPUC permit number) which is required to be included in all advertising by movers. If you don’t find this number, ask the mover for it. Then go to to verify that the permit is valid and active.

Consumers with complaints about movers should contact the Consumer Intake Unit of the Consumer Services Division at (800) FON 4 PUC.”


Dedicated to your professionalism, safety, and your peace-of-mind.

At Cheap Movers Los Angeles, we take pride in providing licensed, trustworthy, and high ethical standards to our valued customers. We are a licensed and insured company and we background check each and every employee.  Our ultimate goal is to get you home, stress-free, and turn moving into a dynamic and positive experience for each and every customer. Please feel free to call (213-262-9440) or CLICK 24/7 for a real, local, Relocation Coordinator to assist you in setting up your next move!


Best wishes,

-Cheap Movers Customer Care Team-

When cheap moving becomes expensive…



So, you scored a “too-good-to-be-true” moving rate with a local company and you feel elated, like you’ve obtained a rare unicorn of a bargain…but have you?

As the old saying goes, “Accidents happen.”

While we are all human and accidents simply cannot always be avoided, the damage caused however, and related costs can be mitigated. This is why all California drivers are required to carry insurance, for example.

So why would you expect anything less from the moving company you hire?

Hiring uninsured and under-insured companies have real life implications. It is estimated that for every 1 insured contracting company there are at least 4 uninsured contracting companies in the Greater Los Angeles Area. In a recent California lawsuit, Mendoza v. Brodeur, a homeowner asked his neighbor to do some work for him on his home.But, lo and behold, an accident happened and the neighbor was hurt on the homeowner’s property. You see, this homeowner blindly trusted his neighbor and thought he was hiring a valid, licensed independent contractor who had his own insurance coverage. In the end, the California Superior Court rejected that stance, and ruled against the homeowner! The judge asserted that the homeowner was technically the neighbor’s employer and thus should have had a California Worker’s Compensation insurance policy in place to cover the possibility of injury on the job. In the end, the Homeowner was responsible to pay all of his neighbors costs.

Arm yourself with knowledge!

In order to be licensed in the State of California, Household Goods Movers must provide more than sufficient evidence to the California Public Utilities Commission  that they are qualified to become licensed. This includes providing proof of financial records and bank statements, successful registration of a Motor Carrier Permit/CA Number with the California Highway Patrol for their fleet vehicles, Auto Insurance for said vehicles that meets or exceeds California minimums, Worker’s Compensation Insurance, at least $20,000 in Cargo Insurance, and the successful completion of a Household Goods Mover Exam administered by the Commission. (Learn more here at the California Department of Justice :

Additionally, all licensed movers are required to display their PUC or “T” number on all of their emails, website, and general correspondence with the public. The Important Information for Persons Moving Household Goods booklet,issued by the California Public Utilities Commission, is required to be given to consumers upon first in-person contact so make sure to check that your moving company has provided this to you. This booklet is vital to you and explicitly outlines your rights and responsibilities as a consumer of California Household Goods moving services.

“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” -Benjamin Franklin

Give us a call and move with the best…for less!

-Cheap Movers Los Angeles Customer Care Team

Visit our Blog @:

Double Drive Time, explained…

“What in the heck is Double Drive Time?”

Thank you, first of all, for asking! Double Drive Time can sound like a very daunting and scary phrase to hear when talking about billable costs — but it doesn’t have to be! Let me give you a little background on the matter first.

In California, all moving companies (big or small,) are required to hold a permit with the state of California called a Household Goods Mover Permit. California Household Goods Movers are regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission. This is the same governmental branch that regulates a number of industries. In order to obtain said permit, companies must provide multiple sources of documentation that confirm financial and legal responsibility. Additionally, companies must pass a rigorous test administered by the Commission. This test requires that companies display a higher-than average knowledge of industry rate caps in and consumer law.

One such law is Double Drive Time. Not only are all companies supposed to charge this fee, but moving companies are actually REQUIRED to charge this fee for all hourly moves. In fact, if the Commission finds that a moving company is not charging this fee, companies can be fined…or worse!

what is double drive time

“...the time used shall be the total of loading, unloading and double the driving time from point of origin to point of destination.” -CPUC

 In Layman’s Terms, say it takes us 15 minutes to drive from your current address in Silverlake, California to your new home in Glendale, California. Therefore, in this case, your Double Drive Time will be 30 minutes. This is to account for the time it would take for your movers to drive back to your point of origin.  It protects you as a Consumer as this cost should be figured in your moving “Not to exceed” price that you sign off on on your contract before your move. Ultimately, this provides fair compensation for the your moving company and for total transparency between your moving company and yourself, which is always key in any relationship.

– Cheap Movers Customer Care Team

(213) 262-9440